Monday 23 March 2015

Crawling on the Somme Battlefield!

Hi,

This term we are bringing our writing alive by making, doing and exploring activities and events.  So far we have cooked pancakes, made kites and crawled on the Somme battlefield.  The aim is for the children to experience an event and then draw upon their own senses and feelings to write about it.  This has allowed each child to experiment, take a risk and be creative, which is what we aim for all our children to do. 

When we made our battlefield, we made tunnels and trenches to crawl through.  Each child had to wear their backpacks and the sound of bombs exploding and bullets firing were played from the laptop.  This allowed the experience to be more life like and afterwards the children shared some amazing feelings and language to explain what they were thinking.  The activity also supported our unit topic of belonging and investigating how the soldiers in WW1 were apart of a group.











10 comments:

  1. Annabella Wilkins - I enjoyed crawling in thew trench the most because we did what the soldiers did in the First World War. It was very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke Smith - I thought crawling in the trench was really scary and it felt realistic in my mind. It was amazing and reminded me about Anzac.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seth - Crawling in the trench was so scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucy Saito - I enjoyed making pancakes because we could flip them in the pan. It was easy and so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peepi Kaukau - I liked cooking pancakes because when we were cooking them we could smell the batter when it was hot. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zathie Thomas - I loved making pancakes because I love cooking. It is like art for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talia - I enjoyed building kites because it was windy and my kite flew the highest. Yes it was fun, very fun. I would definately do it again. It kept on going down like an aeroplane. Flying kites is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophia Wilkins - I liked making kites because when it is windy they fly around in circles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jayden Hemi - I enjoyed flying kites the most because we got to create something new, challenging and something I could test.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Esther James - I liked flying kites because it was windy and my kite flew the fastest. It was like a zooming bird. It flew as high as the classroom.

    ReplyDelete